Question 6

What have you learnt about technologies from the process of constructing this product?



During the creation of our media product we had to encounter various types of technologies both software and hardware alike.
Firstly we was introduced to many types of software to make our blog as presentable as possible and function better for visitors to our blog. The format would enable viewer to see our progression from research to planning and then production. Some of the software was unfamiliar to me so we had to learn how to use them in a short amount of time.


As the Apple Macintosh’s were the only computers in our college with software that was adequate enough to finish our media product to a high standard i had to use them for the majority of work. As i use a Microsoft vista at home i was unfamiliar with the format in which Macintosh operates in. I struggled a great deal at first with locating many of the programmes as they were completely different to Microsoft although the programmes on the mac were of a higher standard like Photoshop and final cut pro . I struggled with basic tasks and it took longer to perform the tasks than it would on Microsoft. However as time progressed i got used to its interface mainly through trial and error. I was able to see the quality it added to my work and through using the mac for my media product i can now us the apple Macintosh effectively in general use.


The first piece of online software we used was ‘bubbl.us’, it was our first time in using the software which created our brainstorm for our thriller, we mapped out the cast/setting/music/props etc. It enables viewers to our blog to navigate through our mind map in an informative and highly presentable way.






I then used a programme called ‘scribd’ this was the first time i used this software but it was very easy to function. I put all of my word documents and my graphs on there and later imbedded it on to my blog this helped to make my blog look more presentable and easier to scroll up and down. The format allows viewers of the blog to view the document. We did have some problems initially when uploading the scribd documents to our blog, but they were shortly resolved with some adjustments to the html coding as i increasingly used the program it became easier to use.


During the production phase, as i filmed part of the opening sequence i had to use the camera equipment which i was unfamiliar with to start.
The camera we used was a Sony Pd170p it had many functionalities and can record in high picture quality. As i was new to using the software i had an induction on using the cameras by our media teacher. This helped me in order to keep the cameras safe and functioning properly. Since we started filming to when we finished i feel that i have learnt a great deal about using these cameras. Firstly at the start i made silly errors like leaving the leans cover on and had difficulty locating some of the functions like playback and zoom, But after various re-shoots and getting used to the camera i was able to use it sufficiently by the end, as you can see in our end product.


Along with the camera, the tripod which is the stand for the camera needed to be used during our production. Although I was also new to using this piece of equipment it was fairly simple to use as i had an induction on using it from my media teacher. It has various leavers to adjust the camera angle and height and also to maintain the cameras stability. As the camera is an expensive piece of media equipment it was important we knew how to adjust it properly to the camera in order to not damage it. I felt that i managed to use the tripod affectively during our production.


In all, through the process of research, planning and production I have come across various new technologies which I had to encompass into my media product although I am not 100 percent efficient in using all of the new technologies I have embraced. I feel I can use them to an adequate standard compared to when i started.

Below is a video tutorial on the camera which helped me in getting familiar with the equipment.

0 comments: